Employers should create a healthy workplace for three reasons, according to the Conference Board of Canada:
- To control the financial costs associated with an unhealthy workplace and to gain the benefits of a healthy workplace
- To build the organization’s profile as a good and socially responsible employer
- To demonstrate legal due diligence toward their employees
Create a Healthy Workplace
Workplaces can mobilize or influence healthy workplace initiatives in the following four key areas, according to the World Health Organization:
- Physical work environment - Provide a safe physical work environment by addressing health and safety concerns.
- Psychosocial work environment - Promote and encourage attitudes, values, beliefs and daily practices in the workplace that have a positive impact on the mental and physical well-being of employees.
- Personal health resources - Provide health services, information, resources, opportunities, flexibility and other supportive environment measures to support or motivate employees’ efforts to improve or maintain healthy lifestyles and to support their physical and mental health.
- Workplace involvement in the community - Consider assistance, resources or expertise that a workplace may offer to support the social and physical well-being of the community surrounding the workplace.
Healthy Workplace Programs
Hamilton employers can access these services through the City of Hamilton at no cost:
- Help creating, updating or implementing a workplace policy, guideline, practice or procedure relating to healthy workplaces
- Resources for creating a healthy workplace
- An enewsletter about workplace health promotion and learning opportunities.
- Inexpensive and effective ideas for a healthy workplace
Topics we can help you with: