- Use the Search By-laws tool and enter a keyword (e.g. Fence) or a by-law number (e.g. 22-001).
- Narrow your search results by using the Category and Sort By filter options.
- Browse the search results. To view a PDF version, click on the by-law number and title of your choice.
The online listing is updated as City Council passes new by-laws.
Disclaimer: By-laws contained in this section have been prepared for the purpose of convenience only and are not certified true copies. Where available, office consolidated versions, combining the original By-law and any amendments, are provided for ease of use. For accurate reference, consult copies of the official By-laws and documents in the Records Division of the Office of the City Clerk.
For by-laws and documents that are not available in an electronic format, email [email protected].
The by-laws include those enacted, amended and repealed by City Council, as well as those enacted, amended and repealed by the Ontario Municipal Board, Ontario Land Tribunal or Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. The City of Hamilton provides online access to reference copies of current by-laws dating from 2004 to the present.
There may be one or more subject categories assigned to each by-law depending on context. Selecting a specific category can narrow your search.
By-laws are the official rules that define how the City is governed
To regulate or prohibit with respect to the being at large of animals, the by-law may provide for the seizure and impounding of animals being at large and the sale of impounded animals. The Responsible Animal Ownership By-law is for the health and safety of residents, property protections, and prevention of public issues.
Office Consolidation as of June, 2022
Pprovides for the addition of a Leash Free Park to subsection 7.4(a) of By-law 12-031.
Repealed by By-law No. 22-108 May 11, 2022
- Subsection 7.4 – Leash Free Parks
- Section 6.1 - Pigeons
- Part 10 - Accreditation by Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums
Provides for the addition of a Leash Free Park.
- Amended to reflect the hours for Borer's Falls Leash Free Park
Provides for the addition of a Leash Free Park (Heritage Green Community Trust)
As amended by adding, Corporal Nathan Cirillo Leash Free Area to the list of Leash Free Parks.
- Section 7.4(a) - Leash Free Parks
- Sections 1.1 and 4.9
- Section 7 - Prohibiting Animals at Large
- Schedule A (Table 8 - By-law No. 12-031 Responsible Animal Ownership in the City of Hamilton - Noise)
To add an additional Leash Free Park under subsection 7.4(a).
To add and remove locations where a dog may be unleashed. Repeals By-law No 12-220