Carshare in Hamilton
CarShare allows for a group of people to have the convenience of driving without the hassles of auto ownership, maintenance and insurance! CarShare memberships are ideal for commuters who use an automobile occasionally or for those who want to reduce the number of cars they own. Users may reserve a vehicle for any requested time and duration.
Two-Way Carshare Operators in Hamilton
There are two, two-way operators in Hamilton. Two-way carshare vehicles are available at several locations in Hamilton. Users are required to pick up and return the vehicle at a reserved, off-street parking spot.
Communauto operates over 3,700 vehicles across four provinces (QC, ON, NS, AB), and is Canada’s largest and oldest carsharing provider. In Ontario, service is available in Hamilton, Toronto, Waterloo Region, Guelph, London, Ottawa, and Kingston. Vehicles are available to members 24/7 through the Communauto app. Members can access vehicles throughout Ontario and Quebec with their Ontario membership.
How it works:
- Register online. Your member number and registration confirmation will be sent by email.
- Download the Communauto app to reserve a car. You can also reserve online or by phone. Book by the hour, day, or even weeks.
- Pick up your car at its reserved parking station. Unlock your car using the Communauto app.
- Make your trip. Make sure to return the vehicle to its station where you it picked up by the end of your reserved time. When you’re done, use the Communauto app to end your trip and lock the doors.
Zipcar gives members on demand access to a variety of cars in cities, campuses and airports, by the hour or day.
How it works:
- Apply online to get your ZipCard to unlock thousands of cars, trucks and vans across the globe.
- Book a Zipcar for a couple hours or the whole day.
- Walk to the car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield to unlock the doors.
- When your time is almost up, return the car to the same reserved parking spot.
Free-Floating CarShare Pilot
In June 2022, the City of Hamilton began issuing parking permits to free-floating carshare operators as part of an 18-month pilot program. Free-floating carsharing is a model where carshare vehicles holding a valid permit can park in certain on-street locations. During the pilot, carshare operators can establish operations in Ward 1, 2 and 3. Vehicles will be able to travel to destinations across Hamilton, but the vehicle must end its trips in these wards (i.e. end the trip in the app).
City Council approved the program on June 9, 2021. Staff will report back to Committee before the end of the pilot period. For more information on the pilot, view the staff report.
Communauto is currently the only operator of free-floating car share in Hamilton. Communauto members have access to both the two-way and free floating services offered by Communauto.