- Use the Search By-laws tool and enter a keyword (e.g. Fence) or a by-law number (e.g. 22-001).
- Narrow your search results by using the Category and Sort By filter options.
- Browse the search results. To view a PDF version, click on the by-law number and title of your choice.
The online listing is updated as City Council passes new by-laws.
Disclaimer: By-laws contained in this section have been prepared for the purpose of convenience only and are not certified true copies. Where available, office consolidated versions, combining the original By-law and any amendments, are provided for ease of use. For accurate reference, consult copies of the official By-laws and documents in the Records Division of the Office of the City Clerk.
For by-laws and documents that are not available in an electronic format, email [email protected].
The by-laws include those enacted, amended and repealed by City Council, as well as those enacted, amended and repealed by the Ontario Municipal Board, Ontario Land Tribunal or Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. The City of Hamilton provides online access to reference copies of current by-laws dating from 2004 to the present.
There may be one or more subject categories assigned to each by-law depending on context. Selecting a specific category can narrow your search.
By-laws are the official rules that define how the City is governed
To establish a system of administrative penalties for contraventions of City of Hamilton bylaws
Repealed by By-law No. 17-225, November 8, 2017
- Schedule A - Hearing Officers
Repealed by By-law No. 19-172, July 12, 2019
- Schedule A - Designated By-laws
- Table 1 - By-law No. 01-216 Regulating Municipal Parking Facilities
- Table 4 - By-law. No. 01-219 To Manage and Regulate Municipal Parks
- Table 5 - By-law No. 01-220 Regulating Parking on Private and Municipal Property
Establish a system of administrative penalties for contraventions of City of Hamilton by-laws.
Repealing and replacing By-law No. 15-138.
Office Consolidation as of February 2022.
- Schedule A (Table 8 - By-law No. 12-031 Responsible Animal Ownership in the City of Hamilton - Noise)
- Schedule A, Table 11 - By-law No. 11-285 Noise Control
- Schedule A, Table 10 - By-law No. 07-170 License and Regulate Various Businesses
- Section 1 Definitions
- Schedule A, Table 12 - By-law No. 01-219 Manage and Regulate Municipal Parks
- Schedule A (Table 13 - By-law No. 10-118 To Regulate Exterior Property Maintenance Including Vegetation, Waste and Graffiti)
- Schedule A (Table 15 By-law No. 17-127 Hamilton Vacant Building Registry)
- Schedule A (Table 14 By-law No. 10-221 Property Standards)
- Schedule 23 (Special Enforcement Areas)
- Table 16 - By-law No. 10-197 Hamilton Sign By-law
- Table 17 – By-law 86-077 Streets By-law
- Table 18 – By-law 15-051 Lottery Licensing
- Table 19 – By-law 18-199 – Prohibit Drive School Instruction in the Restricted Areas
To appoint certain persons as Hearing Officers pursuant to the Administrative Penalty By-law No. 17-225
To Administer Notices and Other Matters under the Trespass to Property Act.
- Table 13 – By-law No. 10-118 Yard Maintenance